Italy’s Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte wants to extend the curfew imposed in the fight against the corona pandemic beyond April 3. It was inevitable to continue the measures that had been decided so far. This also includes the closure of schools and businesses, Conte told the newspaper “Il Corriere della Sera”. Italy has massive restrictions on freedom of travel and assembly that apply until April 3.
“We avoided the collapse of the system, the restrictive measures are effective,” quotes the newspaper Conte. However, it is obvious that even after the country has reached a climax of the crisis and the contagion is at least decreasing in percentage terms, “it cannot return to life as before”.
According to Conte, additional bans should not be imposed – however, compliance with the existing rules would be strictly observed. He also supported some mayors’ decision to close villas and parks. “You have to use common sense and act with the greatest possible awareness,” said Conte.
Italy is the most severely affected by the corona virus in Europe. So far, almost 3,000 people have died of the lung disease Covid-19 caused by the virus.